The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social and research-based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
70 fellowships are awarded annually;
approximately 140 awards are active at any time.
Fellowships are distributed equally among:
- the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
$70,000 per year (taxable)
2 years (non-renewable)
|June – September 2020||Applicants seek endorsement from host institution to apply, prepare and submit application (institutions may have internal deadlines).|
|October 1, 2020
|Deadline for complete application submission|
|October to December 2020||Evaluation of applications|
|Mid February, 2021||Anticipated notification of results. Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.|
|April to October 2021||Payments begin|
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between:
- the applicant – their individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career; and
- the host institution – their commitment to the research program and alignment with the institution’s strategic priorities
An applicant to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete their application in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.
Should more funds become available, additional fellowships may be awarded.