Application Deadline: July 15th 2021
The World Bank Group Young Professionals Program (YPP) is a starting point for an exciting career at the World Bank Group. Young Professionals are recruited from around the world with various academic and professional backgrounds relevant to the World Bank, IFC and MIGA. WBG are looking for applicants who demonstrate a passion for international development, graduate education, relevant professional experience, and the potential to grow into impactful leadership roles across our institutions.
To be considered for the WBG YPP, applicants must:
- Be born on or after October 1, 1989
- Have a master’s or doctoral degree*
- Specialize in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Demonstrate relevant professional experience or continued study at the doctoral level**
- Be fluent in English
- The Bank’s Group recruitment policy is to hire staff of the highest caliber, on as wide a geographical basis as possible, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries or countries of operations.
*Graduate degree requirements:
For World Bank placement: Complete a relevant master’s degree by July 15, 2021 or PhD before September 2022. Fields of study should be related to a World Bank Business Area.
For IFC & MIGA placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree before September 12, 2022. Fields of study should be related to an IFC or MIGA Business Area, including but not limited to a Master’s of Business Administration (or equivalent), Economics, Finance, International Relations, Science and Engineering.
**Professional experience requirements:
For World Bank placement: Demonstrate 3+ years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in continued study at the doctoral level.
For IFC & MIGA placement: Demonstrate4+ years of relevant experience in finance, political risk insurance and credit enhancement, project/program development, economic development and/or consulting. Certifications such as the CFA are a plus.
Before applying, ensure that you meet all eligibility requirements and have reviewed the application checklist below, for required material. Applications must be completed in one 90-minute session (it is not possible to save and continue later) by 11:59 PM UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) on the last day of the application period. On the application, candidates must select the institution that they believe best aligns with their skillset (the World Bank, IFC or MIGA). Duplicate applications will not be reviewed and will not increase one’s chances of selection.
- Academic Credentials*
- 1 Short Essay
- Short Summary of Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates, only if applicable)
- 3 Professional or Academic Recommendations**
*Diploma, Degree Completion Letter, Proof of Enrollment with Expected Graduation Date or Transcript.
**Recommendations will be requested via email during the eligibility screening stage.
Short Essay Question
In 6,000 characters or less, please describe:
- Why you are interested in the WBG YPP and in your preferred institution (IBRD, IFC or MIGA);
- Why you are the right person for the role; and
- How your preferred institution, and the WBG as a whole, should support our clients to contain the impact of COVID-19, working towards a green, resilient, and inclusive recovery
The World Bank Group is closely monitoring COVID-19 developments. To ensure the safety of our current and prospective staff, the 2021 YPP interviews will be conducted virtually. Activities may include:
- An assessment center, where you will be asked to participate in individual and group exercises
- Timed computer-based financial tests
Applicants who are invited to interview will be provided with more detail as the process moves along.
Candidates are assessed based on experience, technical expertise, and competencies such as client orientation, leadership and communication.
For More Information: