The World Food Programme is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. It is one of the largest programmes in the United Nations common system, both by number of employees (over 20,000) and by revenue (USD 8.9 billion). WFP is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize laureate.
THE TECHNOLOGY DIVISION (TEC)
WFP seeks a CIO & Director of its Technology Division (TEC).
With a budget of USD 110 million, TEC manages approximately 300 employees at Headquarters and more than 1,300 in a larger community of practice in the field.
Technology is at the heart of WFP’s ability to directly deliver food assistance and services to over 115 million beneficiaries. Through digital technology and connectivity WFP is rapidly reaching and responding to the needs of some of the most vulnerable people and places affected by crisis. As the leading international humanitarian actor present in over 85 countries, WFP has embraced the use of data and technology to better know and serve those in need by digitally transforming the way it works. TEC has built the foundations for WFP’s global digital transformation through digital strategy, improved data, simplified work and better technology.
THE ROLE AND PURPOSE
As the Chief Information Officer and Director, Technology Division (CIO & Director), you will report to the Chief Financial Officer & Assistant Executive Director, Resource Management (CFO & AED). You will be charged with the strategic leadership and overall direction to all TEC branches and drive governance of WFP’s global information technology systems and tools across the span of its activities and operations. The CIO & Director will also serve as the principal advisor to senior management on technology, digital assistance services and data, including on strategic, architectural, governance and operational matters.
The CIO & Director will define the global IT Strategy and ensure ongoing alignment with the organization’s strategy while encouraging continuous improvement across the TEC division and the technology community of practice in the field. The incumbent will ensure that TEC focuses on enabling the organization through new and innovative digital technology while not losing focus on the traditional IT responsibilities that support the infrastructure and world-wide operations.
Under its current strategy, the key pillars of TEC’s work are Digital Transformation Services, Strategy & Execution, and Operations and Service Delivery.
Digital Transformation Services provide staff with the necessary information to make the right decisions at the right time. WFP is building technology that is integrated and secure, as well as embedding agile methodology and human-centred design practices to improve how technology is built. A recent example of this work includes the use of secure digital identities, which allow our beneficiaries both to receive cash transfers, and to decide for themselves how to use that assistance in local markets. WFP’s beneficiary management system manages 62 million identities and, in 2020, facilitated the transfer of USD 1.5 billion to 21 million beneficiaries.
The CIO & Director will also be responsible for translating business strategy into effective enterprise change and an architecture technology roadmap. He/she will provide effective leadership to enable management of staff and budget for TEC, and develop and enforce governance procedures and monitor progress of the strategic initiatives.
The CIO & Director will also lead global IT operations and service delivery, which ensure that WFP’s global business operations and processes stay up and running, and that WFP teams have systems access and can work in real-time regardless of location.
• Formulate, manage and implement TEC strategic and operational planning to achieve the organization’s goals by fostering digital transformation and prioritizing TEC initiatives
• Formulate, develop and drive the digital transformation agenda within WFP
• Provide direction to the innovation, awareness and adoption of new tools and technology-enabled work practices that will improve productivity and effectiveness, and contribute to a continuous change management process
• Provide effective leadership to the TEC division to ensure the continued development and coaching of a cohesive and high performing team
• Promote and ensure strategic relationships and effective engagement between internal TEC resources and external entities, including government, vendors, and partner organizations
• Hold accountability for WFP IT systems, communication networks and technologies, ensuring that these are cost-effectively harmonized across the organization and, in that regard, also engage with other UN organizations to strive for system-wide coherence, especially at the country level
• Drive the implementation of an effective IT security and risk management strategy, processes and practices to guarantee business continuity under a range of operating scenarios.
• Guide and plan how to use existing and emerging technologies to continually transform the organization into an increasingly digital one
• Financial resources management ensuring an optimal budget and cost management strategy.
• Create business value through technology and continually seek to improve customer satisfaction levels for internal clients.
• Actively participate, lead or co-lead UN forums and clusters to ensure delivery of the broader UN mandate and effective WFP leadership in areas of technology
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
• Advanced university degree in a relevant field, including computer science, informational technology, mathematics, physics, or economics, or first university degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses
• Fifteen (15) years or more (of which six international) of senior-level experience in a relevant field of work
• Significant experience leading a broad and complex Technology function, including IT architecture design, IT infrastructure and operations management, cybersecurity, IT governance and risk management
• Proven track record in developing and managing digital roadmaps and leading a transformational digitalization journey
• Extensive experience leading large multicultural teams and improving performance
• Experience in a Global IT environment
• Strong interest in WFP’s mission
• Fluency (level C) in English
• Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or Portuguese (a WFP working language)
• Disruptive thinking and Forward-looking – possesses sound judgment on how and when to take on board innovative new ideas and enable change using the most suitable emerging technologies; sees ahead of the tech-trends and anticipates appropriate technological answers to WFP’s field needs
• Agile and inspiring leadership – able to motivate a large team spread globally, share vision and lead by example
• Managing Diversity – flexibility and appetite to work with people from various backgrounds and cultures
• Demonstrates self-awareness and alignment with WFP ethics and values
• Manages ambiguity and complexity. Communicates with finesse and effectively able to tackle sensitive and difficult topics
• Strategic thinking – ability to influence senior management decisions by using data-driven information in a highly complex environment.
• Stakeholder Management – creating critical partnerships and establishing sustainable, trustworthy and cross-division relationships to best operate in a global environment with multiple priorities and a large variety of stakeholders
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. More details at https://icsc.un.org/
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Sunday, 30 May 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply